This episode chronicles a father’s story of inspiration from tragedy. Listen in as I interview Fire Chief Patrick Kenny from the Village of Western Springs, Illinois Fire Department. Chief Kenny talks candidly about losing his son, Sean, to suicide – and the importance of mental health for first responders.
Length: 33 minutes
On this episode I interview Fire Chief Patrick Kenny from the Village of Western Springs, Illinois Fire Department. Chief Kenny talks candidly about losing his son, Sean, to suicide – and the importance of mental health for first responders. I first heard Chief Kenny’s message when he delivered his program at the VCOS Symposium in Clearwater Beach. Today, we were both presenters at the FASNY Convention on Albany, New York. After our programs we sat down and talked about his Mayday for Mental Health program. During the interview Chief Kenny shares:
- How he lost his son, Sean, to suicide.
- How he developed a program to share the message of mental health for first responders.
- The powerful feedback he has received on his impassioned message.
- How important it is for this topic to be discussed in fire departments.
- How he almost lost a member of his department to suicide and how he was saved.
- How our culture needs to change to take the stigma out of mental health.
To learn more about firefighter suicide prevention, please visit:
Firefighter Suicide Prevention
Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance
Suicide: A guide for fire chiefs
Suicide in fire and emergency services
Chief Patrick J Kenny
Director of Fire and EMS
Village of Western Springs
Western Springs, IL 60558
708.246.1800 Ext. 171
Situational Awareness Matters! website
Upcoming Events Schedule
Books and Videos (Store)
Firefighter Near Miss Reporting System
Close Call Survivor Website
Contact Rich Gasaway