This episode is an interview with Ryan Pennington, discussing the challenges of fighting fires in hoarded environments.
Length: 55 minutes
In this episode I interview Ryan Pennington who runs the website ChamberOfHoarders.com. Ryan has a passion for helping first responders understand the challenges of hoarder fires. In this episode you’ll learn:
- Why Ryan prefers to call hoarded conditions “Heavy Content” and how that term applies to more than cluttered residential conditions.
- How to use Ryan’s shortcut of: Identify, Confirm, Orient and Control to improve safety while operating at Heavy Content incidents.
- Ryan shares the tactical considerations for operating at Heavy Content Incidents.
- He discusses the challenges of keeping oriented during searches and discusses why it’s never a good idea to climb over the pile.
- Finally, he shares some advice for how to remove victims from the Heavy Contents Environments.
CLICK HERE to order Ryan Pennington’s DVD
“Hoader Homes: Piles of Hazards for Firefighters”
Safety Dance (1982)
Men Without Hats
GMC – Virgin Records
Firefighter Near Miss Reporting System
The mission of Situational Awareness Matters is simple: Help first responders see the bad things coming… in time to prevent bad outcomes.
Safety begins with SA!
Share your comments on this article in the “Leave a Reply” box below. If you want to send me incident pictures, videos or have an idea you’d like me to research and write about, contact me. I really enjoy getting feedback and supportive messages from fellow first responders. It gives me the energy to work harder for you.
How to reach me…
Facebook Fan Page: www.facebook.com/SAMatters
LinkedIn: Rich Gasaway
iTunes: SAMatters Radio
Stitcher Radio: SAMatters Radio